Saturday 13 March 2010

Feeder Rigs

The Intrepid Piscator Many of you will know that I have been doing a bit of feeder fishing lately,and of course,as an inquisitive soul ,I've been trying to extract as much rig information as possible from customers and anglers on the bank.Something that has struck me with the vast majority of the rigs I've seen is their potential to tether a fish.I've seen all singing loop rigs,fixed paternosters to name a few.
A quick image search on Google for "Roach Feeder Rigs" produced the following http://www.course-fishing.freeuk.com/heli2.jpg(link now broken)
To my mind,if the line is broken above the swivel,this rig has the potential to tether not one,but two fish!
Also,we have this a very common set-uphttp://www.gofishing.co.uk/upload/30043/OPI/Fixed-loop-rig.gif,but what if the line snaps a long way above the rig?
Now,don't get me wrong,I'm not one of these over-paranoid types that for example uses an unhooking mat on long,soft grass just because Mr BigSpuds tells me it's the thing to do(especially if Mr.BigSpuds is trying to sell me one),but it is always better to err on the side of our scaley friends safety.
Yes,I've heard the stuff about weak links and rotten bottoms(!)..I'm not convinced they are safe,not 100% anyway.
With all this in mind I currently use the good old running feeder to bead rig,another option I am experimenting with is this http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/files.php?file=helicopter_feeder_rig_326395376.jpg which seems a much safer option but ONLY if the float rubber is loose enough for the fish to pull the rig off of the line...Your thoughts and comments,as ever,my friends, are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment